CRUSTLESS TOFU MINI QUICHES | recipe
I get such inexplicable joy out of making something new out of something I've already made. It's the half-ass creative in me. In this case, it was the happy accident (leftover Monday) of combining my tofu scramble recipe with my vegan egg (v'egg) patty recipe to make these almost too easy mini quiches. These little guys are awesome for meal prepping a grab'n'go breakfast for your school or work week. I also love that they can serve as a fridge clear out recipe because you can through in whatever you need to use up as the filling. I've tried tempeh bacon and chives, asparagus and leeks, mushroom and spinach and these tex-med inspired ones that I've shown here.
1 block extra firm tofu
2 tbs egg replacer or tapioca starch
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp yellow mustard
ground black pepper to taste
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs tamari
filling of your choice
filling as shown:
black beans, drained
red onion, chopped
cumin, paprika and cayenne
- Press the liquid out of the tofu and divide the block in half. Crumble one half in a bowl and process the other half with the egg replacer or tapioca starch in a food processor or blender until smooth. If using a blender you may need to add a few tablespoons of water for it to process .
- Combine the processed tofu with the crumbled tofu and add in the nutritional yeast, tamari, lemon juice and spices. Mix until will combined.
- Preheat your oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare any fillings you want to add. In my case I mixed drained black beans, thawed frozen corn kernels, chopped red onion, chopped scallion and spices to make a salsa. Then I folded this into my quiche mixture. If using any cooked vegetables make sure to pat them dry with a towel before incorporating.
- In a non stick muffin pan or an oiled muffin pan portion your quiche filing into each cup, filling to the brim. Try not to smear any of the mixture on the sides or they might stick and break when you try to get them out. Top each quiche with a dollop of cashew cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes.