PINEAPPLE TACOS with avocado and salsa fresca | recipe
There's something so crazy fresh about an all plant taco, and it's exactly what my body wants in the summer. Over here in New England the summer is intensely hot and fleeting, so I'm looking for foods to cool me down so I can stay out longer and later in the heat. This recipe is primarily just chopping vegetables and assembling them. Yes, let's not melt our faces with hot food, I want chilly, sticky finger food this summer.
1/2 a fresh pineapple, or pre-cut spears
1/4 of a purple cabbage, shredded
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 tbs cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbs lime juice
2 tbs jalapeno, diced
2 green onion stalks, chopped
salt and pepper
Just Mayo's chipotle mayo or vegan mayonnaise and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
12 corn tortillas
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside. If using mayonnaise and chipotle in adobo, dice one chipotle paper and mix it with 1/4 cup mayo.
- Shred cabbage by hand with a knife, with a mandolin or with the slicing blade of a food processor. Set aside.
- Carve and cut pineapple into long flat spears. Heat a grill pan or prepare a grill. Sear pineapples for about 7 minutes on each side, dusting with salt on each side. Let cool before using.
- Toast two corn tortillas over the burners on your stove or a grill. Flip when the layers begin to show bubbles.
- Layering two tortillas at a time, assemble with a smear of chipotle mayo, cabbage, salsa, avocado strips and a pineapple stick. Repeat assembly and dig in promptly*. Eat with hands only.
*Between the juicy pineapple and the salsa fresca these things can be pretty wet and drippy. I highly recommend making your own taco bar and assembling them at the table.
Servings: 2 (3 tacos per serving) Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes