THE VEGAN SHOOTER SANDWICH | recipe
1 lb crimini, portabella or button mushrooms, chopped
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup dry white wine, sherry or masala cooking wine
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 package Lightlife "Fakin' Bacon" smokey tempeh strips (7 strips)
1 medium sourdough boule
- Heat vegetable oil in a sauce pan until bubbling, then add shallots and garlic and cook until the shallots are translucent and the garlic is lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and add mushrooms and cook for about 7 minutes with a lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Bring the heat back up and add your wine, salt and pepper. This is also a great time to add additional seasoning such as thyme or rosemary if you wish.
- Let excess liquid cook off while stirring. Turn off heat and set aside to let cool.
- Cut the a cap off of the sourdough boule and hollow out the entire boule and cap. Make sure to leave a 1/2"-1" wall around the sides and bottom to avoid seepage.
- Now assemble, first coating the inside with mayo, next laying down a layer of smoked tempeh strips, then the mushroom mixture, then tempeh again and finishing with more mayo smeared on the cap.
- After re-placing the cap, wrap the entire boule in paper towel, then metal foil and press the sandwich overnight (12 hours minimum) between two cutting board with weights, heavy books or cans of soup... idk what rubbish you've got at your house. (Press in the fridge if you're worried about foodborne illnesses.)
- Now, you can either unwrap this thing and tuck right in or you can stick it in the oven at 350 for about 25-30 minutes, taking off the foil for the last 5 minutes. I highly recommend the latter. Bon appetit!