THAI RED CURRY WITH SPRING VEGETABLES | recipe
Warm, a little fiery, a little rich too, and incredibly fresh. Thai curry has elements that are perfect for spring time and waking up the senses. The keys to this thai curry are fresh aromatics and a little sour and sweet -- also keys to happy digestion. Try this recipe for a punch to your taste buds and healing for your belly.
1 1/2 cups basmati white rice
2-4 tbs vegetable broth
1 small onion, julienned
1 inch ginger, grated or minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into long strips
1 yellow or green bell pepper
1 carrot, skinned and cut into rounds on the diagonal
1 lemongrass shoot, slit lengthwise and diced
2-3 tbs thai red curry paste
1 can light coconut milk (use full-fat for a richer sauce)
1/2 cup water
2 baby bok choy, cut lengthwise into quarters
1/2 cup tofu, cubed
1 tsp coconut sugar (or raw sugar)
1 tbs tamari
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 fresh lime or 2 tbs lime juice
fresh cilantro leaves, to garnish
red pepper flakes, to garnish
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Before serving, fluff with fork.
- Warma large skillet with deep sides. Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Add onion to skillet and sauté for 5 minutes before adding the ginger and garlic, stirring continually until ingredients are fragrant.
- Add peppers, carrots and lemongrass and cook until tender. Then add the curry paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, water, sugar and vinegar. Once the liquid is bubbling, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and add tofu and bok choy.
- Remove the skillet from heat and season with tamari and lime juice. Adjust seasonings to your liking by adding more tamari, vinegar or lime for a bit more kick. Divide rice and curry into bowls and garnish with cilantro, cracked red pepper and fresh lime wedges. For perfect little rice domes, pack the rice into a small bowl or mug and quickly turn upside down onto plated curry. Enjoy.
Servings: 2 large portions Prep time: about 10 minutes Cook Time: about 30 minutes